How to Switch from Manitoba to Alberta Insurance


Note: Phoning a licensed Alberta insurance agent or broker for advice can save you both time and money.

Please be aware that when moving from Manotiba and taking a vehicle with you to Alberta, you must obtain Alberta insurance and registration as well as an Alberta driver's license within 90 days of moving to the province, even if you travel outside of Alberta during those 90 days. Your Manitoba personal injury protection plan coverage only covers you for as long as you can legally retain your Manitoba registration and insurance (and only while you're in the Manitoba plated vehicle), so you should take steps to switch over insurance and registration as soon as possible.

If you have moved from Manitoba to Alberta, the following steps must be taken to successfully insure and register your vehicle in Alberta:

What documents are required when moving from Manitoba to Alberta?

If you are moving from Manitoba to Alberta, take the time to get your Claims Experience Letter and Drivers Abstract from Manitoba Public Insurance. This is extremely important, as presenting proof of insurance history and driving record to your new Alberta insurance company can save you literally hundreds of dollars.

To order your Manitoba Claims Experience Letter, call: 1-800-665-2410

Your claims experience letter will give a detailed record of your insurance history with Manitoba Public Insurance. Please note that as of the date this document was written, there is a $15 charge for this service and you will need to pay by VISA or Mastercard.

To get your Manitoba Drivers Abstract you may:

  • Telephone (866)323-0543 for information,
  • OR Visit your Autopac agent to request a driver record,
  • OR Fax a request to (204)954-5357
  • Mail your request to: Manitoba Public Insurance, Driver Records & Suspensions, Box 6300, Winnipeg MB R3C4A4.

Your Driver's Abstract contains: name, address, driver licence number, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, licence effective date, licence expiry date, authorized instruction, air brakes, motorcycle instruction expiry date, probationary expiry date, conditions effective and expiry date (if applicable), licence status, test year, licence class (restriction if any), at-fault accidents, convictions*, suspensions, disqualifications and prohibitions. Please note that as of the date of this article, there is a $10 fee for this record.

For more detailed information, please visit the official website of Manitoba Public Insurance.

How do I get insurance in Alberta after moving from Manitoba?

After getting your experience letter and abstract(see above), your next step is to get insurance with an Alberta Insurance company. Unlike Manitoba, where insurance goes through Manitoba Public Insurance, insurance companies in Alberta are private companies and thus it is up to you, the consumer, to obtain automobile insurance through one of the many insurance companies.

Because automobile insurance in Alberta is competitive and Alberta traffic laws differ from other regions, it is highly recommended that you contact a licensed, experienced insurance broker to help you transfer your insurance over.

How do I register my vehicle in Alberta?

After getting insured by an Alberta insurance company, you must then register your vehicle at an Alberta registry. Before going to the registry, you will need the following:

  • Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  • Bill of sale or current Manitoba registration of vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is from out of province, an out-of-province inspection report must be provided.

Once you have completed all the above, bring your proof of insurance, your bill of sale (or current Manitoba vehicle registration) and your out-of-province inspection to an Alberta registry agent. The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.