How to Switch from Other Countries to Alberta (Canada) Insurance


Note: Alberta car insurance companies compete on the basis of price, coverage, and service. It is recommended that you contact a licensed Alberta insurance broker who can check rates for you from several Alberta insurance companies.

To insure and register your vehicle in Alberta after you've moved from another country, you will need to do the following:

What kind of documents should I bring if I'm moving from out-of-country to Alberta?

If you are moving to Alberta from out of country, you should contact a licensed Alberta insurance broker to see if you are eligible for discounts or lowered rates. The broker will advise you on whether your country of origin is eligible for lowered car insurance rates, and what type of documents you will need to produce.

How do I get insurance in Alberta when moving from out of country?

Alberta car insurance companies are privatized and competitive. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you contact a licensed, experienced insurance broker to help you transfer your insurance to Alberta and check multiple insurance companies for the cheapest insurance rate for you.

How do I register my vehicle in Alberta?

After getting Alberta car insurance, you then have to register your vehicle at an Alberta registry. Before going to the registry, you will need the following:

  • Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  • Bill of sale or current registration of vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is from out of province, an out-of-province inspection report must be provided.

Once you have completed all the above, bring your proof of insurance, your bill of sale (or current vehicle registration) and your out-of-province inspection to an Alberta registry agent. The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.