How to Switch from Saskatchewan to Alberta Insurance


Note: Unlike Saskatchewan where the government (SGI) provides insurance, Alberta car insurance companies are privatized and compete on the basis of price, coverage, and service. If you are moving to Alberta from Saskatchewan, it is recommended that you contact a licensed Alberta insurance broker who is able to check rates for you from several Alberta insurance companies.

If you are moving from Saskatchewan to Alberta, you have a maximum of 90 days to insure your vehicle with an Alberta insurance company and register your vehicle with an Alberta registration. To meet requirements, you will need to do the following:

What kind of documents are required if I am moving from Saskatchewan to Alberta?

If you are moving to Alberta from Saskatchewan, it is necessary for you to get your Driver Abstract. Your Saskatchewan Driver Abstract is made up of two parts: the Driver Record, and the Plate Record.

The Driver Record portion of the abstract is a complete record of your accidents or convictions. If you have had no accidents or convictions, your driver information area will indicate "NIL".

The Plate Record portion is a record of any vehicles registered to you. Please note: if a vehicle is registered in joint names and one of the joint owners requires proof that the vehicle was registered and insured in Saskatchewan, it will be necessary to request a plate record under the joint name, in addition to the individual driver abstract.

To get your Saskatchewan Driver Abstract, you may:

  • Go to the SGI website, print out the Driver Abstract request form, then fax the completed form to 306-775-6681. The fee is $10 (as of June 26, 2009). Be sure to provide your VISA or MasterCard number including expiry date of your card on the form and remember to include your return fax number.
  • OR Mail a completed Driver Abstract request form with an enclosed cheque or money order payable to SGI and forward to: Saskatchewan Government Insurance, Driver Abstracts, 2260-11th Ave. Regina, Sask. S4P 2N7. The fee is $10 (as of June 26, 2009).
  • OR Visit any local Saskatchewan motor licence issuer.
  • OR Call the SGI Customer Service Centre at 1-800-667-9868 for further information.

How do I get insurance in Alberta when moving from Saskatchewan?

After you've received your Driver Abstract (see above), the next step is to get insurance from an Alberta automobile insurance company.

Unlike Saskatchewan, Alberta car insurance is privatized and highly competitive. Thus, it is recommended that you contact a licensed, experienced insurance broker to help you transfer your insurance from Saskatchewan as well as check multiple Alberta insurance companies for the cheapest insurance rate for you.

How do I register my vehicle in Alberta?

Once you've started car insurance with an Alberta insurance company, the next step is to obtain Alberta vehicle registration. Before going to the registry office, you will need the following:

  • Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  • Bill of sale or current Saskatchewan registration of vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is from out of province, an out-of-province inspection report must be provided.

Once you have completed all the above, bring your proof of insurance, your bill of sale (or current Saskatchewan vehicle registration) and your out-of-province inspection to an Alberta registry agent. The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.