How to Switch from Newfoundland to Alberta Insurance


Note: In general, Alberta car insurance is more costly than Newfoundland. A licensed Alberta insurance broker can check rates for you from several insurance companies.

If you are moving with your vehicle from Newfoundland to Alberta, you must get an Alberta driver license as well as Alberta insurance and registration within 90 days of your move, so you should take steps to switch over insurance and registration as soon as possible.

If you're moving from Newfoundland to Alberta, you must take the following steps to insure and register your vehicle in Alberta:

What documents do I need to bring when moving from Newfoundland to Alberta?

If you are moving to Alberta from Newfoundland, you will need to contact your Newfoundland insurance company for a Claims Experience Letter. You will also need to obtain a Drivers Abstract from a Newfoundland Motor Registration Office. These documents are required by Alberta insurance companies, and a good driving record will help your car insurance rates in Alberta.

To order a Claims Experience Letter, you need to contact your previous insurance company. Please note that you should obtain at least 6 years of insurance history. So, if you have switched insurance companies in the last 6 years, you should obtain a claims experience letter from every insurance company that you have been insured with over the past 6 years.

To order your Newfoundland Drivers Abstract you can:

  • Telephone the Driver Records Section at(709)729-0331 for information & instructions,
  • OR Fax a request to (709)729-7616. A $10.00 fee is payable by Visa or Master Card. Include card number, expiry date by month and year, authorization to deduct fees from credit card and signature of card holder.
  • OR Mail your request to any Motor Registration Office. A $10.00 fee is payble by cheque or money order with your mailed request.

Please included the following required information in your request:

  • 1. Surname and given name
  • 2. Driver license number and date of birth
  • 3. Postal address or fax number (with area code) where you would like the driver's abstract returned
  • 4. Any person requesting a driver's record for another individual must have written permission in order for the record to be processed.

How do I get insurance in Alberta when moving from Newfoundland?

After getting your documents in order (see above), you need to obtain insurance with an Alberta Insurance company. Much like Newfoundland, Alberta insurance companies are privatized and therefore different companies may offer different rates.

Because automobile insurance in Alberta is competitive and Alberta traffic laws differ from other regions, it is highly recommended that you contact a licensed, experienced insurance broker to help you transfer your insurance over and check multiple insurance companies for the cheapest insurance rate for you.

How do I register my vehicle in Alberta?

After getting insured by an Alberta insurance company, you must then register your vehicle at an Alberta registry. Before going to the registry, you will need the following:

  • Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  • Bill of sale or current Newfoundland registration of vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is from out of province, an out-of-province inspection report must be provided.

Once you have completed all the above, bring your proof of insurance, your bill of sale (or current Newfoundland vehicle registration) and your out-of-province inspection to an Alberta registry agent. The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.