How to Switch from Québec to Alberta Insurance


Note: Unlike Quebec where the government covers bodily injury there is strict no-fault insurance, Alberta car insurance companies are fully privatized. If you are moving to Alberta from Quebec, it is recommended that you contact a licensed Alberta insurance broker who is able to check rates for you from several Alberta insurance companies.

If you are moving from Quebec to Alberta, you need to obtain automobile insurance with an Alberta company and Alberta vehicle registration within a limit of 90 days. To meet requirements, you will need to do the following:

What kind of documents do I need if I am moving from Quebec to Alberta?

If you are moving to Alberta from Quebec, it is necessary for you to get a Claim Experience Letter from your previous insurance companies, as wel as your Driving Record from SAAQ

You will need to obtain an English-version claim experience letter for every insurance company you have been with for the last six years. You should be able to call the companies to request these letters (sometimes, you may need to complete a written request as well). These letters should be faxed or emailed to you and the Alberta insurance broker you are dealing with.

The Driving Record provides information about the status of your driver's licence; active demerit points on file; current violations; conditions that your driver's licence bears; the class or classes of driver's licence; violations issued and convictions connected to driving a heavy vehicle; accidents connected with driving a heavy vehicle.

To obtain your Quebec Driving Record you can:

  • Go to the SAAQ website and complete the Online Driving Record Request.
  • OR phone the SAAQ general information line at 1-800-361-7620 for further information.

How do I get insurance when moving from Quebec to Alberta?

After you've received your Claim Experience Letter and Driving Record (see above), the next step is to get insurance from an Alberta automobile insurance company.

Unlike Quebec, Alberta car insurance is entirely privatized and highly competitive. Thus, it is recommended that you contact a licensed, experienced insurance broker to help you transfer your insurance from Quebec as well as check multiple Alberta insurance companies for the cheapest insurance rate for you.

How do I register my vehicle in Alberta?

After you have obtained car insurance with an Alberta company, the next step is to go register your vehicle with an Alberta registry office. Before going to the registry office, you will need the following:

  • Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  • Bill of sale or current Quebec registration of vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is from out of province, an out-of-province inspection report must be provided.

Once you have completed all the above, bring your proof of insurance, your bill of sale (or current Quebec vehicle registration) and your out-of-province inspection to an Alberta registry agent. The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.